Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Yunel's slip up


Taking more of an in depth approach this week on a specific event rather than a broad over view I will be discussing the bad choice of Yunel Escobar. On Tuesday night September 18th Toronto Blue Jay short stop Yunel Escobar was suspended for three games because of a gay slur he wrote on his eye black.

On ESPN Yunel addressed the media on his eye black. Here is where you can see him respond to the eye black.

He spoke to the people saying that “It was not something I intended to be offensive. It was something I just put on the sticker on my face as a joke. There was nothing intentional directed at anyone in particular.” Well why that may be true that it was not directed at in one in particular it was directed to a group of people much larger than an individual. I think he knew what he was saying by putting that slur on his eye black and he could figure out the possible consequences that may be intertwined in writing such a thing.

He knew what he wrote and as an adult and a role model to kids he should know better than to write such a thing. Yunel said “It is a word with no meaning.” Wrong! The word does have a meaning and its offensive to a great amount of people. I just think Yunel knew he had made a mistake and he is afraid to just come out and admit to his wrong doing.

I’m be no means saying that he is against homosexuals because i don’t personally think he is I just think he made the wrong choice. Yunel has written things on his eye black before but nothing before that has been offensive to anyone. It is out of character for Yunel to do this and he has said that he will do not such thing like this again in his future.

He is a part of Major League Baseball (MLB) and with that he displays an image of what it’s like to act and plays like a professional to everyone who inspires to be where he is. Major League Baseball is not by any means in support of what he wrote they are totally accepted of their fan base and I’m sure appreciate everyone who has a love for the game.

Blue Jays Pitch Carlos Villanueva said “I know he’s extremely embarrassed, we’re extremely embarrassed for him, we know it’s not an easy thing. I know he doesn’t want to deal with it, but he has to. He has to step up, especially how things are nowadays. You just have to watch what you say, or what you express out there.” I don’t think you could some it up any better than that. Yunel now knows what he has to do to make things right and I’m sure he will.

I’m sure he is a changed person and a better person and I don’t expect to see anything like this from him again. (507)

No comments:

Post a Comment